Born of a missionary station, brewery and a trade station, the town of Omaruru has a rich yet stormy history. The name Omaruru means "bitter milk", derived from a local bush that would turn cows’milk bitter when eaten. In 1871, Axel Eriksson established a trade post near the Omaruru River with the purpose of long distance trading between Southern Angola and the Cape in South Africa. He also opened a brewery with Anders Ohlsson. In 1872, Gottlieb Viehe founded a missionary and the town continued to thrive. During the early 1900s fierce battles were fought between the indigenous Herero tribes and the German colonial forces. The Captain Franke’s Tower was erected in honor of relief troops led by Hauptman Franke sent to aid in the defense of the small town. With around 14,000 inhabitants today, Omaruru has truly made its mark on the Namibian plains. Its list of local attractions include dinosaur footprints at Otjihenamaparero, a museum commemorating Omaruru’s history, local craft shops and a winery boasting locally produced wines. Located between coastal town Swakopmund and northern Otjiwarongo, Omaruru is fast becoming a artist’s haven with cheese, wine, chocolate and wood carved items being just some of the local produce. Be sure to pass by the Sand Dragon Restaurant and the Kristall Kellerei.