My Guide Website?
Walvis Bay: 4x4 Desert Excursion to Sandwich Harbour Bay65 Reviews
Discover a unique landscape of giant sand dunes that run straight into the ocean. Explore the rolling dunes on a 4x4, and learn about the creatures that live and thrive in this harsh environment.
- Marvel at panoramic views of Sandwich Bay and the Kuiseb Delta
- Explore the unique landscapes where the hot desert sands meet the cold South Atlantic ocean
- Look for animals and plants that have adapted to the harsh desert environment
- Experience an exhilarating 4x4 trip through majestic desert dunes
- Enjoy a light meal atop a sand dune with amazing views in all directions
DescriptionAfter hotel pickup in Swakopmund or meeting your guide at the Walvis Bay Waterfront, admire the mass of flamingoes in the Walvis Bay Lagoon. Your 4x4 tour will head out to a tidal lagoon consisting of adjacent intertidal areas, mudflats, and sandbars that supports thousands of wetland birds. In addition to the many flamingoes, there are 11 species of endangered birds regularly observed at this RAMSAR site. Next, your tour proceeds to the Kuiseb river delta, a dry riverbed where springboks are sometimes seen. Here you'll also look for some of the area’s smaller creatures, such as the fog-basking beetle, dancing spider (white lady of the Namib), golden mole, shovel-snouted lizard, and palmato gecko. Then if weather and tides allow, you'll drive along the beach right to the Sandwich Harbour Lagoon, one of Southern Africa’s richest wetlands and the second RAMSAR site for the day. Wedged between the sea and the Namib Dunes, this is one of Namibia's most important coastal wetlands and supports eight endangered species among the large numbers of wading birds. Finally enjoy a light lunch including a selection of oysters and snacks, salad, bread, fresh fruit, and drinks atop a high dune overlooking the Atlantic Ocean or on the beach.
IncludesHotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected) Snacks and drinks including oysters and sparkling wine Needed permits
- Morning tours begin at 8:00 AM and return at 12:00 PM
- Afternoon tours begin at 12:30 PM and return at 16:15 PM
- For excursions to go ahead a minimum of 3 guests are required
- Tours are not private or exclusive and may include other guests who are not a part of your group.
- Due to weather conditions and tides, it is not always possible to reach the Sandwich Bay Lagoon along the beach. In these cases, your tour will drive to the top of the dune overlooking Sandwich Bay
- This tour is suitable for persons with disabilities or mobility concerns
- The local partner is happy to cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten sensitivities, or food allergies
- Please advise when booking if a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary is being celebrated