Walvis Bay: 4x4 Desert Excursion to Sandwich Bay
Discover a unique landscape of giant sand dunes that run straight into the ocean. Explore the rolling dunes on a 4x4, and learn about the creatures that live and thrive in this harsh environment.
Are you a business owner in Namibia?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Namibia.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Marvel at panoramic views of Sandwich Bay and the Kuiseb Delta
- Explore the unique landscapes where the hot desert sands meet the cold South Atlantic ocean
- Look for animals and plants that have adapted to the harsh desert environment
- Experience an exhilarating 4x4 trip through majestic desert dunes
- Enjoy a light meal atop a sand dune with amazing views in all directions
DescriptionAfter meeting your tour guide and other guests at the Walvis Bay Waterfront and seeing the masses of flamingoes in the Walvis Bay Lagoon, your 4x4 tour will head out to a tidal lagoon consisting of adjacent intertidal areas, mudflats, and sandbars that supports thousands of wetland birds. In addition to the many flamingoes, there are 11 species of endangered birds regularly observed at this RAMSAR site. Next, your tour will proceed to the Kuiseb river delta, a dry riverbed where springboks are sometimes seen. Here you'll also look for some of the area’s smaller creatures, such as the fog-basking beetle, dancing spider (white lady of the Namib), golden mole, shovel-snouted lizard, and palmato gecko. Then if weather and tides allow, you'll drive along the beach right to the Sandwich Harbour Lagoon, one of Southern Africa’s richest wetlands and the second RAMSAR site for the day. Wedged between the sea and the Namib Dunes, this is one of Namibia's most important coastal wetlands and supports eight endangered species among the large numbers of wading birds. Finally enjoy a light lunch including a selection of oysters and snacks, salad, bread, fresh fruit and drinks atop a high dune overlooking the Atlantic Ocean or on the beach.
IncludesSnacks and drinks including oysters and sparkling wine Needed permits Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Morning tours begin at 8:30 AM and return at 12:15 PM.
- Afternoon tours begin at 12:30 PM and return at 16:15 PM.
- For excursions to go ahead a minimum of 3 guests are required.
- Tours are not private or exclusive and may include other guests who are not a part of your group.
- Due to weather conditions and tides, it is not always possible to reach the Sandwich Bay Lagoon along the beach. In these cases, your tour will drive to the top of the dune overlooking Sandwich Bay.
- This tour is suitable for persons with disabilities or mobility concerns.
- The local partner is happy to cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten sensitivities, or food allergies.
- Please advise when booking if a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary is being celebrated.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Marvel at the world’s oldest desert from a bird’s viewpoint. We are looking forward to welcome you on board one of our Cessna 210s to offer you the experience of a li...
Daredevil AdventuresSwakopmund, Swakopmund
We offer our clients the ultimate experience right in the heart of the beautiful Namib Desert. From a trip through some of the highest sanddunes in the world to a ride around our safely designed kiddies track we have something for everyone.
Photo-Ventures NamibiaWalvis Bay, Walvis-Bay
Namibia’s wildlife and untouched, pristine landscapes lend themselves to photography.......
Sandwich Harbour 4x4Walvis Bay, Walvis Bay
We offer 4x4 excursions to Sandwich Harbour, Marine Dune Days, Kayak Combos and Bird Watching Activities every day in the Wetlands around Walvis Bay.............From N$ 1640.00 p.p.
Catamaran ChartersWalvis Bay, Walvis Bay
Come sail with us on our 45' Royal Cape Catamaran Silverwind or on our 60' Simonis Catamaran Silversand and experience the Bay in luxury, style and comfort! Catamara...From N$ 870.00 p.p.
Zip Zap ToursSwakopmund, Swakopmund
Our mission is to provide a safe environment for all incoming visitors to our beautiful city, whilst at the same time promoting historic and local tourism by making use of environmental friendly modes of transport.
Hot Air Ballooning SwakopmundSwakopmund, Swakopmund
Take to the sky in a hot air balloon and see things from an amazing new perspective. We can't wait for you to join us on an airborne adventure.
Activities NamibiaSwakopmund, Swakopmund
Coming to Namibia? Want to book something to do? Well this is the place to look. Contact us and we can make it a memorable holiday for you, your family and your friends.
Heliworx AviationSwakopmund, Swakopmund
Do you want to explore Namibia from a different view point? Then you have come to the right place.
From Swakopmund: Quad Biking in the Namib Dunes
Discover the spectacular Namibia Desert on a quad bike. Ride the wildest dunes on an exciting expedition with an expert guide and instructor. Opt for a 1-hour, 1.5-hour, or 2-hour adventure through the dramatic orange landscape.From $46.00