During a gale in 2014 one of Namibia's greatest points of history was affected. The Diaz cross is still standing but the walk way that was build to reach it has been totally destroyed and had to be subsequently removed.
It affects the tourists that visit this area negatively as it is a great point of interest in Lüderitz and access to the replica Cross is in a bad state.
N$30 000.00 will be needed to repair this area to its former glory.
On 24 July 1488 Dias landed at a rocky point west of a narrow bay he called Angra Pequena (Narrow Bay). Next day, 25th July 1488, St James Zebedee's Day, he erected a PADRAO made of soft Lisbon limestone. Pieces of the original, found in 1953 by Professor Eric Axelson, are in museums in South Africa, Germany, Portugal and in Windhoek.
In the Luderitz Museum is a plaster cast.
On 25 July 1988, 500 years after Dias raised his padrao, a Namibian dolerite REPLICA PADRAO was unveiled to mark the end of the Diaz 500 Festival.
Donations can be made to:
Standard Bank – Lüderitz Branch code: 080471
Dias Bridge Acc No: 60001585753
Please send proof of payment to Crispin Clay, Vice Chair, Dias Bridge Committee.